Bamber Bridge 3-3 Lancaster City

A last-minute wonder strike from Ryan Winder ensured Lancaster City earned a share of the spoils with Bamber Bridge in a thrilling draw at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium.

Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 10:19 am
Ryan Winder. Picture: Peter Gray

The home side took the lead when ex-Preston North End midfielder Paul McKenna produced a moment of brilliance by bending a free-kick into the top corner.

City hit back through Aaron Taylor before skipper Matty Kay ensured Brig went in at the break with a one-goal advantage.

Jacob Davis equalised early in the second half before substitute Chris Marlow thought he had sealed three points for Brig with a fine individual effort with just stoppage-time remaining.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But in the dying seconds, Winder unleashed a shot which took a slight deflection to seal a point for his side.

Darren Peacock’s visitors had the better of the opening stages, Tom Kilfin producing a fine double save from Brig goalkeeper Lee Dovey, first stinging his palms and then producing a diving save to his left from the rebound.

Winder then cut in from the left and fired just wide but it was Brig who took the lead on the quarter hour.

A free-kick was awarded on the edge of the box after Greg Johnstone was hauled down by Davis and McKenna who curled a perfect strike into the top right-hand corner.

Brig keeper Dovey was spared his blushes three minutes later after he came charging out of his area only to half clear the ball, but Kilfin poorly struck an effort over.

Lancaster continued to have the better of the play, Dovey redeeming himself by diverting a Taylor header on to the bar before Kilfin shot inches wide.

At the other end, Ally Waddecar saw his shot-come-cross cleared off the line.

The visitors grabbed a deserved equaliser just before the half hour mark.

Taylor saw his initial header blocked but he made no mistake second time round from seven yards.

Brig regained the lead two minutes later, skipper Kay pounced on a loose ball and his strike flew through a crowd of players and into the net.

Kilfin produced a diving save from Dovey then Brig striker Greg Johnstone rattled the post from five yards.

Early in the second half, Lancaster centre-half Davis levelled things up when he lost his marker from a corner to head home past Dovey.

Brig boss Neil Crowe introduced Andy Bell from the bench and he almost had a perfect introduction but he could only head over.

With 10 minutes left, Lancaster stepped up a gear and but Dovey twice denied Kilfin with superb acrobatic saves.

As the game entered stoppage time, Brig sub Joey Mullen superbly played through Marlow, who weaved his way into the area before unleashing a shot past Mike Hale at his near post.

But with just seconds left, Winder, with the aid of a slight deflection, bent a shot into the top corner for a deserved equaliser.