Baker praises Euxton groundstaff as Garstang book place ibn Richardson Cup final

Garstang defeated Tempest United weekend.Garstang defeated Tempest United weekend.
Garstang defeated Tempest United weekend.
Garstang FC manager Lee Baker had nothing but praise for both teams and the groundstaff after watching his team beat Tempest United to reach the Richardson Cup final.

The Riversiders booked their second cup final appearance of the season, following on from their Lancashire Shield progress, as their treble bid remained intact.

Their 3-2 win was done the hard way, having gone a goal behind after 12 seconds before equalising, taking the lead, spurning further chances and then scoring an own goal to halve their lead.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

While pleased at the way his players came through 
despite one of their more ordinary performances, Baker was just as complimentary towards the opposition and the staff at Euxton Villa, the venue for Saturday’s semi-final.

Wet weather had put the game in doubt but all three parties were determined the game should go ahead as planned. “The pitch at Euxton was absolutely fantastic and a credit to their staff,” Baker said.

“We got there and the referee said it was off because of one area in a goalmouth but the Euxton groundstaff put some more work in and were happy for it to be played.

“Both sides had warmed up and then it was left in the groundsman’s hands as to whether he thought it was playable. He did, we got the game played and I’m really thankful to the staff at Euxton as well as the Tempest players for making sure it happened.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Garstang were back in action on Tuesday night, losing 3-2 at home to Haslingden St Marys in what was their game in hand over West Lancashire Football League Premier Division leaders, Blackpool Wren Rovers. Lewis Hanley gave the visitors a sixth minute lead and Alex White made it 2-0 after 18 minutes, but Garstang hit back with two goals from Tom Entwisle in the 35th and 43rd minutes respectively.

However, Hanley popped up again for Haslingden in the 76th minute as the visitors claimed the three points.

Garstang are now a point clear of Blackpool Wren Rovers at the top of the table having played the same number of games.

*Slyne-with-Hest were denied a win late on at Thornton Cleveleys on Saturday. Slyne took the lead thanks to an own goal in the 65th minute but an 89th minute Luke Noble penalty meant that they had to settle for a point.

Related topics: