Back in time: Morecambe bid farewell to Christie Park

Morecambe supporters say goodbye to the club's former homeMorecambe supporters say goodbye to the club's former home
Morecambe supporters say goodbye to the club's former home | jpimedia
With football still in lockdown, we thought we’d dip into the archives over the next few weeks and take a look at some classic matches.

This week, we’re going back to May 2010 when the Shrimps said farewell to Christie Park with a 2-1 win against Dagenham and Redbridge in the second leg of their play-off semi-final.

This is how we described the action on that evening....

Morecambe may not be going to Wembley but they restored pride with a fine win over Dagenham in the final ever game at Christie Park.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

On an emotional evening Dave Artell scored a last-gasp winner to cap an excellent performance from Sammy McIlroy’s side who were trailing 6-0 from the first leg at Dagenham on Sunday.

The Shrimps produced some of their best football of the season and piled on the pressure in the first half.

Laurence Wilson forced Tony Roberts into a fine early save from a free-kick and Mark Duffy saw a shot beaten down from the edge of the area.

Dagenham looked sharp on the break themselves with Sunday’s goal hero Josh Scott drilling a shot into the side netting and Scott Doe seeing a close range volley superbly saved by Barry Roche.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Morecambe hit back with Duffy testing Roberts with a left-foot shot that the former Wales international keeper punched to safety.

Five minutes before the break Paul Mullin saw Roberts tip over a close-range shot as the home side peppered the Dagenham goal.

The pressure continued in the second half with Phil Jevons twice going close and Darren Moss shooting into the side netting but the Dagenham defence remained solid.

Top scorer Jevons clipped one over from close range and Mulin headed just over before the Shrimps’ pressure finally paid off nine minutes from time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Mullin broke free down the left and produced a fine cross for Mark Duffy to volley home at the far post.

Dagenham then pulled a goal back five minutes from time against the run of play when Paul Benson headed home Danny Green’s right wing cross but Morecambe hit back once again.

Two minutes into injury time Craig Stanley swung in a free-kick to the far post and Dave Artell produced a header to beat Roberts and give the Shrimps the victory they deserved to end their time at Christie Park on a high note.