Aldershot 1-0 Morecambe

JIM Bentley was left fuming over two refereeing decisions that he believed cost his Morecambe side at least a point at Aldershot on Saturday.

The Shrimps’ boss was incensed that a handball decision was not given when Josh Payne blocked a Stewart Drummond shot on the line which would have resulted in a penalty and an almost certain sending off.

Said Bentley: “It was a massive decision for us and once again didn’t go our way. This was always going to be a really tight game and we had worked really hard on set pieces because we saw that as vital to getting something from the game. The corner routine worked superbly and when the lad blocked Stewart’s shot it was a clear handball but once again we didn’t get the decision.

“It proved to be costly as well because if we had got something from the game it would have been an almost perfect away performance against a team that had won five games in a row. I was happy with the performance overall because I asked for a response after Tuesday’s game and I definitely got that. The lads looked much more composed and I thought we kept possession well but we let ourselves down in the final third too often.

“Too often our final ball was disappointing and we never made the most of the good areas we got into and we will have to work at that. In the end the only difference between the sides on the day was a top quality goal from a striker in form.’’

Not for the first time Guy Madjo was the man to punish the Shrimps. The Cameroonian front man has previously scored against Morecambe for clubs including Stafford Rangers and Shrewsbury and he did it again with a superb 26th minute header from an excellent Aaron Morris cross after a quickly taken free kick had caught the Shrimps out.

The handball incident came five minutes later and from there the game was pretty dire affair with both defences very much on top.

Morecambe started well and Stewart Drummond went close to giving his side the lead in the fifth minute when he ghosted in at the far post to meet a Kevin Ellison corner but could only scoop the ball over the bar form six yards out.

Garry Hunter volleyed wide from distance before Aldershot produced their first efforts with top scorer Danny Hylton failing to find the target with two long range efforts and Peter Vincenti heading a corner just over.

The Shrimps hit back with Andy Parrish seeing a header deflected wide from a corner before the controversial handball incident that was missed by the referee.

From there Morecambe struggled to worry a strong Aldershot defence and were thankful to their keeper Roche for making smart saves from Troy Brown and Vincenti before the Shrimps staged a late rally.

It took the Shrimps 76 minutes to produce an effort of note when Izak Reid fired a shot wide but once again Jack Redshaw added a bit of spice up front and teed up Gary McDonald for a shot which finally forced home keeper Jamie Young into a save.

The Shrimps’ final chance came in in jury time after Brown was sent off for a rash tackle on Danny Carlton and the Shrimps powered forward with Sean McGinty heading a 94th minute corner over from close range with virtually the final touch of game.

Morecambe: Roche 6; Haining 6, Parrish 7, McCready 6; Reid 6, Drummond 6 (rep McDonald 45), Hunter 6, Ellison 6, McGinty 6; Alessandra 6 (rep Redshaw 75), Burrow 6 (rep Carlton 80). Subs not used: Kettings, Cowperthwaite.

Aldershot: Young; Herd, Jones, Bradley, Straker; Vincenti, Morris, Brown, Payne (rep Smith 81); Hylton (rep Mekki 61), Madjo (rep Risser 72). Subs not used: Murphy, Connolly.

Ref:: K Stroud.

Att: 2,381.