AFC Wimbledon 2-0 Morecambe

Jack Redshaw takes on the AFC Wimbledon defence.
Jack Redshaw takes on the AFC Wimbledon defence.
Share this article

Shrimps boss Jim Bentley said he was lost for words after seeing his side slump to their third successive away defeat in controversial fashion at Wimbledon on Saturday.

Bentley was furious with the performances of the officials after the game and said he was feeling “as low as he ever had’’ as Shrimps’ boss.

Both Wimbledon goals had an element of controversy as Kevin Saint-Luce opened the scoring on 37 minutes after an excellent cross from the suspiciously offside looking Gary Alexander.

But it was Wimbledon’s second goal after a hotly contested back pass decision that really angered Bentley as Robbie Threlfall’s mis control was deemed a back pass to Barry Roche and a free kick awarded. Although there were few doubts about the resulting penalty award, it was a decision that Bentley felt changed the course of the game.

He said: “I thought we were the better side and I’m lost for words after losing the game.

“I think all our hard work was undone by some ridiculous decisions that started from the kick off when Chris Holroyd was wiped out by one of their players with a challenge that left him needing stitches in his mouth.

“I thought the first goal was offside but have seen it since and it wasn’t but the second goal was a bizarre backpass decision that even their bench could not believe.

“It was a game I thought we shouldn’t have lost. We played some great stuff especially in the first half and created some good chances but we didn’t take them and that is something we have to take away from the game as well.

“Andy Fleming has to score in the first half but he’s missed the target from five yards and Jack Redshaw forced a save from their keeper after being put through on one one.

“We watched Wimbledon at Accrington last week and saw where we could exploit their weaknesses. Our plans worked well but poor finishing and decisions cost us.’’

when two goals in seven first half minutes gave Wimbledon the three points.

Kevin Sainte-Luce and a Jack Midson penalty saw the Shrimps suffer a controversial defeat in a game where a string of decisions went against the Shrimps.

Morecambe started the game well and played some neat football in the early stages with Fleming missing the target from just six yards and Redshaw foiled by an excellent John Sullivan save after being put through on goal

Wimbledon’s only moment of threat in the opening stages came when Jack Midson headed a free kick straight at Roche. Unlike Morecambe the Dons made their pressure pay with an opening goal on 37 minutes when Luke Moore started a sweeping move with a defence-splitting pass to pick out Gary Alexander and his cross was steered home at the back post by Sainte-Luce.

It got even better for Wimbledon five minutes later when they doubled their advantage through a Midson penalty when Andy Wright handled Alexander’s drive after the free kick from the controversial back pass decision.

The Dons were denied a third in the second half when Will Antwi’s towering header from a Chris Hussey corner was cleared off the line by Fleming.

The Shrimps produced some late moments of threat with Jordan Burrow’s looping header forcing Sullivan to tip over before the substitute shot horribly wide when played in by Redshaw.

AFC Wimbledon: Sullivan, Mitchel-King, Hussey, Yussuff, Bennett, Antwi, Sainte-Luce (rep Long), Pell, Alexander (rep Darko), Midson, Moore. Unused subs: Cummings, Osano, Strutton, Jamiez-Ruiz.

Morecambe: Roche; Wright, Fenton (rep Doyle 21), McCready, Threlfall; Drummond, Fleming, McDonald; Holroyd (rep Mwasile 75), Redshaw, Alessandra (rep Burrow 64). Subs not used: Arestidou, Williams, Parkinson, Short.

Ref: G Ward.

Att: 3902.

Star man: Gary McDonald.