AFC Wimbledon 1-0 Morecambe

Adebayo Akinfenwa’s header was enough to condemn Morecambe to their second defeat of the week.

Saturday, 20th September 2014, 6:22 pm
Morecambe FC.

The giant AFC Wimbledon front man kept up his fine recent scoring record against the Shrimps with his 27th-minute goal the difference between the sides at Kingsmeasdow.

Alan Bennett was given far too much time to swing in a cross from the left shortly before the half hour and Akinfenwa, fresh from two goals in the Dons’ 3-0 win over Burton on Tuesday, was left unmarked in the box to head what turned out to be the winner past Barry Roche from close range.

The game had started at a frenetic pace.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Danny Bulman tested Roche with a shot from 25 yards in the third minute of the game and Akinfenwa went close with a fine volley on the turn which sailed inches wide of the left hand post.

The home side’s pressure continued with George Francomb firing into the side netting at the far post and Bennett failing to find the target when left free in the box.

Morecambe found some fluidity towards the end of the half and had a penalty appeal turned down when Paul Mullin’s shot was blocked before Ryan Williams tested James Shea with a superb 40-yard free-kick that was heading for the top-right-hand corner.

The second half saw Akinfenwa go close to a second with a stinging shot on the turn that was turned away by Roche at full stretch.

Morecambe’s first effort of note after the break came on 68 minutes when Kevin Ellison teed up Mullin but his shot was parried over the bar by Shea.

The young striker was then guilty of missing the Shrimps’ best chance six minutes from time when he had an open goal six yards out but somehow headed wide of the target.

Wimbledon: Shea, Fuller, Barrett, Bennett, Harrison, Francomb, Bulman, Moore, Rigg (Kennedy 85), Azeez (Beere 80), Akinfenwa. Subs not used: McDonnell, Phillips, Nicholson, Sainte-Luce, Frampton.

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley, Parrish, Edwards, Widdowson, Kenyon, Goodall (Redshaw 60), Amond, Williams, Ellison, Mullin: Subs not used: Arestidou, Hughes, Wright, Sampson, McCready, McGowan.

Referee: Darren Drysdale.

Attendance: 3,822.