Carnforth 29-3 Vale 4ths

Carnforth reclaimed the Andrew Crowe Memorial Shield and picked up four points on Saturday after a 29-3 win over Vale of Lune 4ths in Divison Four North.

Monday, 22nd February 2016, 11:07 am
Updated Monday, 22nd February 2016, 12:10 pm
Carnforth's Jason Short battling forward.

Vale opened the scoring on 10 minutes when Leon Gierke kicked a well struck penalty but Carnforth hit back strongly.

After 25 minutes they started to hit back at the Vale, Sam Tomlinson made a superb run up the middle of the pitch, skipper Dan Blenkharn took the ball and within a blink of an eye he spotted a gap and went through for the opening try of the game.

Five minutes before half time Carnforth grabbed two quick tries, again the superb Sam Tomlinson made the break before Matthew Short was as alert as ever to glide through the centre to score.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

From the kick off a move down the backs saw Nick Hamer, Joe Harrison, Tomlinson and Short link up to allow Dale Lowrie to run in the try from 50 yards – outpacing Dan Helme to score.

Short added both conversions to give Carnforth a 19-3 interval lead.

The hosts started the half well with again Blenkharn, Jason Waterhouse and John Greenland to the forefront of the moves – five minutes into the half and a fourth try was recorded.

Jason Short made a typical run down the pitch before he offloaded to centre Harrison, he had three men in front of him but he burst through for a try - well rewarded for his 
efforts during a full 80 minutes.

With 20 minutes to go Carnforth sealed the four points when stand off Hamer burst through a gap before a superb pass to Jason Waterhouse saw the prop charge over for a popular try.

Vale refused to lie down with Helme, skipper Paul Scott, Gierke and their dangerous full back making breaks.

Right until the end the Vale went looking for points whilst Carnforth wanted to keep their try line intact.

After a couple of minutes of injury time, referee Mr Mark Manning who had a great game controlling a local derby signalled the end and a welcome four points for Carnforth.