Tatham at crossroads after injury returns in shock defeat
Tomi Tatham knows his health must come first as he evaluates his next move after a shock defeat on Saturday night.
The Bentham light heavyweight was stopped in the first round by late replacement Karel Horejsek on the undercard of Anthony Crolla’s defeat to Jorge Linares at the Manchester Arena.
The Czech’s first clean shot left Tatham struggling with his vision, TNT getting up off the canvas before referee Victor Loughlin waved the contest off after two minutes and 50 seconds.
The popular 27-year-old will now see a specialist on Thursday before deciding what’s next, acknowledging it could be the end of the road.
“I went out there sound as a pound to be honest,” said Tatham, trained by Karl Ince in Preston.
“I was jabbing and moving and then he hit me with a shot that wasn’t even that hard.
“I wasn’t right from then and he bundled me over after a barrage of punches.
“I took a knee because I wasn’t hurt but my vision wasn’t right.
“I got up and he jumped on me and the referee stepped in.
“He won fair and square but it’s an old injury that’s come back and I need to get it looked at because my health has to come first.
“I’ve just got to see what they say.”
Despite his obvious disappointment, Tatham was keen to thank the more than 300 fans who turned out to support him and all those who have been in touch since his defeat.
The Bentham man, who had been set to face Liam Conroy in a British title eliminator only for the Barrow man to pick up an injury, was ready for action early in the evening but was made to wait until after midnight as other fights ran long.
“A big thanks to everyone for coming along and staying on,” he said.
“I was ready to fight at 6.30pm but didn’t get on.
“I can’t believe how many nice messages I’ve had since the fight.
“I’ve never felt as much love.”