Boxing: Brilliant Ben destroys Dixon

THERE was double joy for the Lancaster Boxing Academy on Friday at Kendal Town Hall.

Ben Morrell was up first, pitted against an experienced opponent in Oliver Dixon who was representing Workington ABC.

It was supposed to be a close contest, but from the opening bell this was never going to be the case.

The first round was clearly one sided in favour of the Lancaster boxer, and it was only Dixon’s experience that saved him from suffering a stoppage in the first round. Heavy shots to both head and body were causing the Workington boxer all kinds of trouble.

The punishment didn’t last much longer though. Within 20 seconds of the second round, Dixon was given a standing eight count, and should have been pulled out there and then.

He was allowed to continue but the inevitable wasn’t far away and with one final flurry from Morrell the referee jumped in to administer another standing eight, thus stopping the content. This was a superb performance in the early stages of Morrell’s career.

The second fight was between Josh Fisher representing Lancaster Boxing Academy, and Jack Dryden again representing Workington ABC.

Once again the Lancaster boxer outshone his foe, with a display of both skill and power. Fisher started the first round relatively sheepish, but landed with some nice counters which stopped Dryden coming forward.

Once he had settled into the fight there was only going to be one winner.

The start of the second round was in stark contrast to the first with Fisher coming out of the corner with a whole new attitude, and within a minute had sent his opponent back to the ropes and landed 12 unanswered shots.

The referee jumped in and gave Dryden a standing eight, but to his credit Dryden managed to last until the bell.

The third was similar to the second with hooks and uppercuts from Fisher landing almost at will against the now floundering Dryden, once again the referee gave a standing eight count and when the final bell tolled, Fisher walked away an easy victor.

Coach Bob Howard said after the fights: “On paper these were close fights and it’s credit to the hard work put in from the boys that they both managed to come away with superb wins. Hopefully this is the start of things to come.”