Warning to Lancashire residents after house blaze

editorial image

Householders in Lancashire have been warned not to switch on large electrical appliances before they go to bed after a family had a lucky escape.

Firefighters were called to a house in Queen Street, Morecambe, late last night after a tumble dryer burst into flames.

The occupants had no working smoke alarm - so were unaware of the fire until it had taken hold.

Four fire engines, from Morecambe, Lancaster, Carnforth and an aerial ladder platform from Preston attended a tumble dryer fire at the three storey, domestic property at around 11.30pm.

The fire was located on the first floor in the kitchen. Crews used breathing apparatus, three hose reels, one jet and a ventilation unit to extinguish the fire.

A fire brigade spokesman said: “We would like to urge people not to turn on appliances before they go to bed or going out.

“If there is a problem, you can switch it off quickly, If you are not there, it can take hold and the incident could be much worse.

“Also this property had no working smoke alarm. Had they had one, they would have been alerted straight away. As it was, it took hold and was going well by the time we attended.”

Anyone wanting a smoke alarm or fire prevention advice can contact their local fire station.