VIDEO: Housing scheme off dangerous road in Cockerham given green light

Controversial plans to build 25 new homes off a road recently named the third most dangerous in Britain were approved by the city council this week.

The scheme was criticised by several village residents at Monday’s planning meeting.

Motorbikes overtake, across double white lines, along the A588 at Cockerham.

Motorbikes overtake, across double white lines, along the A588 at Cockerham.

They said the road, the A588 to Blackpool, regularly saw cars and motorbikes speeding up to 80mph and that the access road onto the site, off Marsh Lane and Main Street in Cockerham, was in a dangerous location.

Developers moved the access route onto the site 20m along the road following previous concerns from County Highways officers, but residents said vehicle speeds are even higher at the new point.

On one occasion residents used their own speed camera to monitor traffic speeds, and recorded a motorbike travelling at 82mph.

Victoria Holmes told the meeting she does not feel able to walk her two young children along the road because it is so dangerous.

David Woodhead, who works as an accident investigator, said: “Even though it’s a 40mph limit it is totally ignored by many cars and motorbikes.”

And fellow resident Hazel Wilson asked the council to request a further traffic survey.

She said: ““I can’t put into words how distressed I am at this application. We have carried out our own traffic survey and recorded many incidents of dangerous overtaking and breathtaking speeds.”

However, agent Graham Salisbury said: “Cockerham is identified as a settlement where the council anticipates delivery of residential development. This scheme will make a positive contribution to the recognised housing shortfall in the area.

“We have worked closely with Highways to produce a scheme that contributes to traffic calming on Marsh Lane to the benefit of the village.”

Committee members heard that Highways officers had raised no objections to the new plans.

The A588 was listed as the third most dangerous road in Britain last week by the Road Safety Foundation.

After the meeting Mrs Wilson said: “We are obviously all very disappointed. No one in the village, including the parish council, supported the application. They have ignored the national survey and our plea for another survey. None of our concerns have been addressed.”