Top five most inspiring people of 2015
A fundraiser has been named as the person that most inspired Brits in 2015.
An internet appeal launched by Katie Cutler, in aid of disabled pensioner Alan Barnes, raised more than £300,000 this year. Mr Barnes was mugged outside his home and January.
Katie, who has since received a British Empire Medal in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List, received donations from around the world for her campaign.
Research by the Discovery Channel has shown more than a quarter of 2,000 British adults feel personally inspired by the woman, from Gateshead, in the North East, who could not believe how much her appeal took off.
Those also taking a place in the top five are Tim Peake, the British astronaut currently aboard the International Space Station, and “John” who can be heard shouting, “you ain’t no Muslim, bruv,” in footage of a stabbing at a London station.
Top 5 inspiring people of 2015
1. Katie Cutler (26%) – helped raise £300,000 for a disabled man who was the victim of a mugging
2. Chris Norman, Anthony Sadler, Spencer Stone and Alek Skarlatos (26%) – prevented a terrorist attack on a train in France
3. Tim Peake (25%) – astronaut, who become only the seventh British-born person in space
4. Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs (20%) – allowed homeless people to stay in the Manchester hotel they are renovating
5. “John” (20%) – the man who said “you ain’t no Muslim bruv” in reaction to a stabbing at Leytonstone station, in London