A teenager told how her bedroom went up in flames after her hair extensions ignited while she was doing her homework.
Natasha Lee, 17, had been drying off her fake locks with a hairdryer at her home in Hyde Road, Morecambe.
She left them on her bed while she went downstairs to start her school work.
But she returned a few minutes later and was horrified to find them engulfed in flames and her bedroom full of smoke.
Firefighters were called but the blaze caused extensive damage to the property.
Natasha said: “I couldn’t believe my eyes. I’d washed my hair extensions and I’d been drying them for about five minutes.I switched off the dryer and left them lying on my bed. I’d only been downstairs about two minutes and when I came back my room was on fire. When I first saw the smoke I thought maybe it was coming from outside.
“I didn’t for one second think there w as a fire until I turned and saw the bed. I ran back downstairs and called 999. It was terrifying.”
Crews arrived and the fire had broken through the first floor bedroom window and smoke and flames were venting outside.
Thankfully, Natasha and her mum Szbtlana Froloza, 52, escaped. Natasha also rescued her dog and two cats from the flames and waited outside until the firefighters arrived at the house in Morecambe.
Natasha said: “It’s really scary to think it could have been so much worse.It’s awful that we can’t live in our house at the moment and we’ve lost so much of our belongings .
“I certainly won’t be buying hair extensions again.”
The blaze at 8.25pm last Tuesday severely damaged the bedroom.