Smoke alarm does its job

Smoke alarm.
Smoke alarm.

Lancaster firefighters have underlined the importance of having a working smoke alarm after a chip pan fire at a house on Avondale Road.

The occupants got out before two crews arrived at 6.15pm on Tuesday, January 28, after an alarm in the kitchen went off.

The pan was left unattended. Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said: “This incident shows how valuable a working smoke alarm is in the home as it undoubtedly saved the property from more damage by raising the early alarm.”

For a free fire safety check, contact the service on 0800 169 1125.