Passengers' shock after Morecambe train fall death

An everyday commute turned to horror when a man was struck by a train near Morecambe.

Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 3:55 pm
Updated Tuesday, 10th May 2016, 5:55 pm
York Bridge, Morecambe. Credit Google Street View.

Passengers who were travelling from Morecambe to Lancaster were chatting, laughing and talking on what to them was a normal day.

But tragedy struck when a man fell from York Bridge and was hit by the train.

Gary Beattie, 29, from Morecambe, who was travelling to Cartmel for his job as a head chef, said: “It’s not the incident that has affected me, it’s thinking about the silent white faces of the children and the face of the driver.

“It was just a normal day, people were laughing on their phones, then suddenly the train came to a complete halt.

“The conductor came down the aisle and said ‘We believe that someone may have fallen off the bridge’.

“I saw the look on the faces of the train crew. Me and another two gentlemen offered to help but it was clear the man was beyond help.

“It was very quiet, there were the muffles of voices and people occasionally making small conversations.

“The mood was sombre. The train staff kept us informed while we waited for the emergency services.

“The incident happened at 8.50am and it was 10.20am before the train travelled back to Morecambe station.

“It was an awful situation but the train crew kept us up-to-date and I commend their actions and the actions of the emergency services.”

The pastor at the New Life Christian Fellowship Independent Pentecostal Church on Christie Avenue offered prayers for the man at the weekly Sunday service.

British Transport Police said a 50-year-old Morecambe man – who has not been named – died after being hit by a train on the line between Morecambe and Lancaster on Wednesday, May 4.

A spokesman for British Transport Police said: “We were called to an area near to Schola Green Lane, Morecambe, at 9am on Wednesday, 4 May, following reports of a person being struck by a train.

“Our officers attended along with colleagues from Lancashire Police and the North West Ambulance Service but sadly the 50-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene. The incident is non-suspicious.”