An 18-year-old woman was awoken when the plug of her mobile phone battery charger went bang in the night.
Kelly Wood bought a lead to charge her Samsung S5 and said: “I had been asleep and was awoken to see a flash of light and I could smell smoke. It lit up the whole room and really shocked me.
“When I looked at the plug it was black. Luckily the extension lead is a safety one and cut out the electrics and everything else or it could have been a lot worse. I did get a full refund and I’m not blaming the shop but this is an eye opener.”
Earlier this month Samsung ordered a recall of 2.5 million Note 7 devices after reports of them catching fire during charging.
In one incident, a Florida man had his mobile plugged into his truck dashboard and just managed to stop his eight-year-old daughter getting into the vehicle when he spotted it was in flames.
A spokesman for Samsung said: “Samsung takes customer queries extremely seriously and enquiries are investigated and dealt with on a case by case basis. This issue is currently being investigated and our customer services team will be in contact with the customer regarding the matter.”