Neighbours fail to save mum

A MOTHER of two died in a Lancaster house fire which is believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette or match.

Deborah Mayor, 44, died in the blaze at her home on Dee Road, Ryelands.

Three fire engines – one from Lancaster and two from Morecambe – were called to the property at 1.50am on Monday after a neighbour smelled burning and heard the smoke alarm.

Smoke was seen billowing from the bedroom windows.

Neighbours tried desperately to break in and save the woman and one next door neighbour injured his ankle in the process.

Fire crews, police and paramedics arrived to find the ground floor well alight.

See the Lancaster Guardian (05-05-11) for full story.