Former Quakers school in Carnforth which once welcomed wartime evacuees opens its doors to holidaymakers

Eighty years after it welcomed wartime evacuees, Yealand Old School continues to accommodate a wide variety of visitors.

Groups including knitters, board gamers, schools, families, cyclists and people who are visually impaired have used the self-catering facility in a building dating back to 1764.

“The area is a big plus for our visitors and most of our business is repeat bookings mainly from the North West,” said Alan Tyldesley, treasurer of Yealand Quakers.

“People also come back for the history associated with the place.”

Leighton Moss nearby is a big draw too as is the Arnside and Silverdale National Landscape which attracts walkers and cyclists.

The Old School, which provided education to local children until the 1920s, is one of several Quaker owned buildings in Yealand Conyers including the 1692 Meeting House, three properties and some farmland.

The number of Quakers in the area increased following a visit by their founder George Fox in 1652 but visitors holidaying at The Old School don’t have to be Quakers.

In recent years, The Old School has been redesigned and refurbished to provide versatile accommodation for up to 20 guests. Only bookings for the entire building are taken.

The ground floor has three bedrooms with en suite shower rooms while upstairs is a mixture of low beds and sleeping mats, toilets and showers.

The accommodation also includes a kitchen and lounges with books and games on both floors.

Yealand Friends Meeting House is just down the path from the Old School and welcomes visitors who wish to look round and spend time in the grounds with its views across to Ingleborough.

For more information and to book, visit yealandoldschool.co.uk

Related topics: