Jessica’s our little miracle

Jessica Holmes.
Jessica Holmes.

Her parents were twice told she would not survive the night.

But battling toddler Jessica Holmes has defied doctors’ predictions to begin a miraculous recovery from her life-threatening leukaemia.

Two-year-old Jessica has astonished her family and medics by waking from a three week long coma and fighting back – just weeks after her internal organs started to shut down and doctors twice told her distraught parents to say goodbye.

Tiny Jessica was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia last summer. She 
underwent a blood transfusion and was rushed to the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital.

The youngster began chemotherapy, and also had steroid treatment as well as several blood transfusions, and later developed brittle bone disease as a result of the chemotherapy.

The tot’s mum Mandy said: “She ended up in intensive care and we were told twice that she wouldn’t make it through the night.

“She was put into a coma because she caught three lung infections and her lungs 
collapsed. Her stomach and bowel both shut down and she was knocking on death’s door.”

But suddenly Jessica started to fight against the ventilation machine she was on, and gradually began breathing on her own.

And she is doing so well she was even allowed home to Catterall for Easter.

Mandy said: “When the doctors came in to see her they were just gobsmacked.

“They said she shouldn’t still be here with us.

“It was unbelievable – you could see it in the look on their faces when they saw her.”

Jessica is now having intensive physio at the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital to help build up her wasted muscles.

“In the past week she has started to pick up, but she is like a newborn baby again,” Mandy said.

“She can move her head but can’t walk or roll over or sit up because her muscles aren’t strong enough.

“She doesn’t like sitting still and she is getting very frustrated so I know she will be fighting and pushing herself to the limit.

“She doesn’t understand what’s going on. When she went into hospital she could run around but now she can’t do anything.

“She is starting from scratch again but she is fighting so hard.”

Jessica missed three chemo sessions while she was in a coma and is now having oral treatment, which will continue every day for the next two years.

It will then be decided whether she is strong enough to have her original chemotherapy treatment.

A recent fundraiser at Babar Elephant Indian restaurant, which included an auction of items signed by Morecambe TT motorbike legend John McGuinness, raised £2,000 to help pay for a specially adapted pushchair for Jessica.

Mum-of-five Mandy, who attended the event with her son Dylan, 13, thanked the organisers Julie and Andrew Seaton and all the local businesses who donated raffle prizes.

Garstang beauty salon owner Louise Slinger will also be aiming to raise money for the family when she undertakes a 40 mile walk from Barrow to Keswick on May 10.

Donations can be made through Facebook at