Inquest shock for mum of Lancaster chef

Wendy Taylor with her son Craig Johnson.
Wendy Taylor with her son Craig Johnson.

A grief-stricken mum has said she now has some closure following her son’s inquest.

Wendy Taylor spoke of her devastation when the Lancaster Guardian informed her that her son Craig Johnson’s inquest was held on May 26.

I am devastated and struggling to cope at the moment

Wendy Taylor

The heartbroken mum was not aware the hearing had taken place into the death of the Lancaster chef, who died on February 11.

The coroner’s verdict at the paper inquest, where no evidence is read aloud, was death by taking own life from a head injury.

Wendy has been struggling to cope after losing two sons, Craig and 21-year-old Ben Taylor, in the space of a year.

Although Wendy was not present during the verdict she accepts some form of closure.

She said: “I am still in a bad way, I am devastated and struggling to cope at the moment.

“I am just grief-stricken, it is not something you can get over. I suppose now I know, I have got some closure.

“I do feel like I can try and move on with my life.”

Craig, an award-winning chef, was loved by many in the city and was described by friends as “amazing.”

The 30-year-old was found dead at his home in Burrow Heights Lane, Lancaster.

Craig’s death came just hours after an inquest was held for his beloved brother Ben, who died last June in a collision with a lorry while cycling to work in Grimsby.

Wendy pleaded with her son Craig to see a doctor just days before his death.

Originally from Grimsby, Craig moved to Lancaster 11 years ago at the age of 19 where he began his career.

Craig worked at The Sun Hotel, in Church Street, Lancaster, and was a well known figure in the community.

He won the Mitchell’s Chef of the Year award in 2008 and also worked at The Borough, in Dalton Square, and The Water Witch in Aldcliffe Lane on the Lancaster Canal towpath.

The Lancaster Guardian spoke to the Coroners Office but no one was available for comment at the time the paper went to press.