A dad who was bitten by an insect on holiday today told how he developed a serious infection which could have cost him his leg.
Garry Darton, 56, of Fulwood, Preston, went to Cuba with his wife and some friends.
A week after he came home, he became unwell and he was admitted to hospital. His leg was so badly infected that at one point medics feared he could lose it.
Doctors believe it was caused by an organism from the sea in Cuba entering a bite he had scratched, causing the serious infection.
Garry, who is now on the mend, said: “My leg looked a right mess and it was incredibly painful.
“If I had seen it on someone else’s leg, I would have been astounded.
But you never expect an innocent bite to turn into something like that or be told you could have lost your leg.Garry Darton
“I always get bitten when I go on holiday.
“But you never expect an innocent bite to turn into something like that or be told you could have lost your leg.”