Gas cylinder fire in Lancaster village prompts evacuation and 200m cordon

People have been evacuated to a village pub after a gas cylinder caught fire at a commercial premises in Nether Kellet.

Friday, 18th November 2016, 10:24 am
Updated Friday, 18th November 2016, 12:22 pm
Road to Intack Farm. Image courtesy of Google Streetview.

A 200-metre cordon is in place around Intack Farm, Longdales Lane, Nether Kellet, after an acetylene cylinder caught fire in a workshop at Scot JCB.

Fire crews from Carnforth, Lancaster, Bolton-le-Sands, and a specialised pump from Burnley are currently at the scene, and have the fuel cylinder contained.

There is no indication that anyone has been injured, and people in the vicinity, including a small number of people from Meadow View Caravan Park, have been evacuated to the local pub.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

John Taylor, from Lancashire Fire And Rescue Service, said: “It’s something that has required a careful approach, and we’re trying to prevent explosion.

“It has not exploded, but it is involved in the fire.

“Fire crews are letting the gas burn off and they will need to jet a lot of water over it to ensure it is safe.