Flat fire sparks chip pan alert

editorial image
Share this article

Firefighters rescued a man from a top floor flat after a chip pan full of hot oil burst into flames.

Three appliances, two from Lancaster and one from Morecambe, raced to the property on Thornton Road in Morecambe at around 5.15pm last Friday after being told people could be trapped inside.

Fifteen firefighters were sent to the scene to tackle the blaze which, Lancashire Fire Service spokesman John Taylor said, started after a chip pan was left on top of a cooker.

He said one man was located in the property by fire crews and taken outside to safety. He was not injured.

“Hot oil fires tend to be worse because they accelerate more quickly and there’s more risk to life because they develop very rapidly and give off a lot of toxic smoke which tends to injure people,” said Mr Taylor.

“On this occasion, the fire was quickly put out.

“The crews were there for about half an hour and, fortunately, it didn’t turn into something more serious.”

Mr Taylor urged people to pay attention when preparing food and to use a deep fat fryer when cooking chips as they were a ‘safer alternative’.

He explained: “With a pan, it’s easy to be distracted - a phone call or someone at the door and it could be at that point where the oil gets too hot and gives off fumes which ignite.

“Very quickly, they can become a severe fire which can trap people.”

North West Ambulance Service confirmed it attended the incident but that no one required hospital treatment.

For a free home fire safety check, contact Lancashire Fire Service on 0800 169 1125.