Drunk woman in race shame

A woman who was so drunk she did not even remember how she ended up in hospital has admitted racially abusing a security employee.

Thursday, 26th May 2016, 11:21 am
Updated Thursday, 26th May 2016, 12:23 pm
Wigan Infirmary

Thea Collard, of Gidlow Lane, was given a conditional discharge after pleading guilty at Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court to racially-aggravated harassment at Wigan Infirmary on May 15.

Prosecuting, Tess Kenyon told the court Collard, 34, swore at the security officer, made derogatory comments about the colour of his skin and told him he did not belong in the country.

She was arrested but told the police in interview she had no recollection of the incident and did not even know how she ended up in hospital.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ms Kenyon said two other security staff saw the incident and described Collard’s behaviour as abusive and disruptive to the A&E department.

The court was told Collard had bought a bottle of Bacardi at around 5pm the day before and started drinking but had no memory of the actual incident. She also denied being a racist in interview.

A victim impact statement was read to the court, with the security officer saying he should not have to put up with racial harassment at work and her behaviour was witnessed by members of the public in the busy hospital.

He said: “I’m just trying to make a living. It’s something I always have to put up with but that doesn’t make it right or mean it doesn’t still hurt.”

Mark Ferguson, defending, said Collard had been diagnosed with stress and anxiety.

Mr Ferguson said: “One can only assume she was in such an intoxicated state it led to an incident which needed treatment.

“She lacked any specific intent to cause harassment or distress. It was just the ramblings of a very drunk woman but that doesn’t make it right.

“She recognises she has a problem and needs to sort herself out. She went to the GP and has been referred to an alcohol service.”

The chair of the bench told Collard her attitude was “completely unacceptable” and gave her a two-year conditional discharge. She was ordered to pay £75 compensation as well as costs and a victim’s surcharge.