Do you know who is knocking on your elderly loved ones’ door today?
Make sure your family and neighbours are aware of precautions they can take when dealing with unexpected callers:
* LOCK - Keep your front and back doors locked even when you are at home.
* STOP - Before you answer, stop and think whether you are expecting anyone. Check you have locked the back door and taken the key out.
* CHAIN - If you decide to open the door, put the chain or door bar on first, if you have one.
* FIRE SAFETY - Only put on your door chain as you answer the door, don’t keep it on all the time as this could delay your exit in case of fire.
* CHECK - Look at their clothing. Some official callers will have a uniform bearing their organisation name or logo. Even if the caller has a pre-arranged appointment, check their ID card carefully.