Family ‘put at risk’ by missed safety check

A LANDLORD in Lancaster has been sentenced for putting the lives of a family at risk by failing to arrange an annual gas safety check.

Carole McMillan, 57, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after she failed to arrange for a registered engineer to visit a property on Birkdale Close on the Vale.

Lancaster Magistrates’ Court heard Ms McMillan had been renting the house out to a couple and their two young children, aged five years and nine months old. An investigation was launched on April 27 2010 when it was discovered that gas appliances at the house had not been checked since February 6 2009.

Carol McMillan admitted a breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 for failing to arrange an annual gas safety check. Ms McMillan, of Hatlex Lane in Hest Bank, Lancaster, was fined £750 and ordered to pay £2,250 in prosecution costs on Tuesday, March 13. Rohan Lye, the investigating inspector at HSE, said: “Carole McMillan put the whole family at risk by failing to make sure an annual gas safety check was carried out.

“Landlords have a legal duty to ensure tenants aren’t exposed to dangers from gas appliances in their home. It doesn’t cost a lot to arrange a visit from a registered gas engineer but checking that appliances are safe once a year could save someone’s life.”

See the Lancaster Guardian (15-03-12) for full story.