Concrete slab attack on OAP

The scene of the incident in Heysham village is cordoned off by police.
The scene of the incident in Heysham village is cordoned off by police.

A community is reeling after a savage attack on a pensioner left her fighting for life in hospital.

The victim, an 85-year-old woman called Mavis, was hit on the head with a concrete paving stone in what police described as attempted murder, only metres from a primary school. Witnesses to the brutal attack described their shock as she lay critically injured on the pavement after being assaulted in broad daylight.

A neighbour said Mavis staggered out of her house on School Road, a cul-de-sac near Heysham village. He said her attacker grabbed a paving stone in a neighbour’s garden and hit her over the head with it.

She then collapsed on the pavement on nearby Brentlea Avenue.

A woman who lives on Brentlea Avenue said: “It’s just been such a shock for the whole street.

“I’m just glad the kids never saw it because it happened before they came out of school. The old lady used to buy ice creams for the children.”

A man who has known the pensioner for a number of years, said: “Mavis is a very private person. I don’t think she will get over this.

“I saw her lying there with a pillow under her head and the ambulance crew were tending to her.

“My wife and I have been very upset about this.

“All the neighbours look out for each other and this has been a real shock. This is just an ordinary street.”

People turned to Facebook to wish Mavis well after her terrible ordeal.

Callum Harrington New said: “Poor old Mavis she’s a legend up our neck of the woods.”

Gail Smith said: “Turned my stomach when I read this, what is this world coming to.”

Pixie Dust said: “Hope she recovers and has the confidence to live in her home once again.”

The elderly woman was airlifted to Royal Preston Hospital unconscious after the attack at 11.45am on Thursday. The North West Air Ambulance landed on St Peter’s School field. As The Visitor went to press, Mavis was in hospital in a critical but stable condition.

l A 57-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder has been sectioned under The Mental Health Act. He has been transferred to a secure unit.