Cigarette started fire in bedroom

Latest news.
Latest news.

Neighbours helped the occupant of a house escape a fire caused by a discarded cigarette.

Three fire engines raced to the scene of the blaze at Norland Drive in Heysham at 11.34pm on September 8 after it was reported a person might be trapped.

Neighbours were alerted to the fire and at first were knocking on the door but could not get a response.

They then broke the living room window and the occupant climbed out with their assistance.

Fire crews entered the property wearing breathing apparatus to tackle the fire and ensure the house was empty.

The crews soon established that no other people were in the house at the time of the fire.

The fire started in an upstairs bedroom, spread to other rooms and the roof of the property.

After initial investigation it would appear that the fire started from a carelessly discarded cigarette.

Further investigations are taking place.

Lancashire Fire and Rescue service would like to take this opportunity to highlight the hazard and the potential devastation of smoking in bed.

Cigarette’s should always be put out properly in a specifically designed ash tray.

For more advice on home fire safety and smoke alarms you can contact Lancashire Fire and Rescue service on 08001691125 or visit www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk/safety.