Cheese on toast sets kitchen on fire

editorial image

The simple matter of making cheese on toast lead to a kitchen fire in a student flat.

Fire crews arrived to find an electric toaster turned on its side in an attempt to melt the cheese onto the toast in one of the student accommodation blocks at Lancaster University, at 4.15pm yesterday.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “This type of toaster is not designed to be used in this manner.

“Firefighters used a dry powder fire extinguisher and a ventilation unit to remove the smoke. The misuse resulted in a fire within the toaster rendering it unrepairable, heat damage to the kitchen worktop and smoke damage to the kitchen.

“It should be noted that this type of misuse of electrical appliances can easily result in a serious fire situation.”