Tyson Fury excited by February ring return - but Warren deal still to be done

Tyson Fury (right) in action against Dereck Chisora during the British Heavyweight Title fight at Wembley Arena, London. Picture: Nick Potts/PA Wire.
Tyson Fury (right) in action against Dereck Chisora during the British Heavyweight Title fight at Wembley Arena, London. Picture: Nick Potts/PA Wire.
0
Have your say

Tyson Fury is looking forward to returning to the ring next month - despite his promoters insisting a deal is not yet finalised with Frank Warren and BoxNation.

Queensberry boss Warren announced on Wednesday that Fury was to appear at the Copper Box Arena in London on February 15 ahead of a possible rematch with Dereck Chisora at a major stadium in June.

The Morecambe heavyweight’s long-time representative Mick Hennessy insisted talk of any new promotional deal for the unbeaten giant was premature however.

But Fury tweeted: “Looking forward to feb 15 as that’s my next fight date thanks to boxnation. As we start the ball rolling for.Chisora rematch in summer.!!!”

Hennessy said: “These reports are not true.

“We have had a verbal offer from BoxNation for Tyson to appear on three of their shows, but as yet have not received any contract to look at and consider.

“Until something is agreed in writing and signed into, myself, Peter Fury (Tyson’s uncle and trainer) and Tyson are still keeping our options open.

“We were told it would be 48 hours before we even receive any paperwork to look at and we are still awaiting any such communication.”

Peter Fury tweeted: “Our Promotor is still mick Hennessy!! We are currently awaiting the contract in a co promotion with Boxnation. Only then the deal is Done!!”

Elsewhere, Fury could find himself in hot water with the World Boxing Council following comments he made after being overlooked for a shot at the belt vacated by Vitali Klitschko in December.

The 25-year-old was critical of the WBC in an interview with ESPN after the organisation elected to pit Bermane Stiverne against Chris Arreola for the title in a rematch from earlier this year which was won by Canadian Stiverne.

A statement read: “The WBC has advised Mr. Fury that absent a specific retraction and apology, the WBC will proceed with imposing disciplinary sanctions against him, including potential suspension, fine, and withdrawal from the WBC ratings.”

The former British and Commonwealth champion is ranked number eight by the WBC having not fought since victory over Steve Cunningham in April due to the cancellation and postponement of his battle of Britain with David Haye.