Star striker set for Lancaster City return

editorial image
0
Have your say

JORDAN Connerton is set to return to Lancaster City, at least for part of pre-season.

The prolific forward, who left the Dolly Blues for Crewe in a reported £30,000 deal in the summer of 2010, is expected to attend training tonight, Thursday, at Giant Axe according to chairman and caretaker manager Mick Hoyle.

The Lancaster-born striker is without a club after leaving the Alex at the end of his contract and has been interesting a number of clubs in non-league but is back with the Dolly Blues in a bid to maintain his fitness and play some games.

Speaking yesterday, Wednesday, Hoyle said: “Jordan Connerton will be with us on Thursday night and we’ll see how things go.

“He wants to keep himself fit and could play a few pre-season friendlies, starting with Stockport next Tuesday.

“He knows how we looked after him first time around with the move to Crewe so we’ve got a lot of time for one another.

“Hopefully he can be part of our future and we can help him out by putting him back in the shop window.”

City boss Tony Hesketh, currently taking three months off because he needs hip surgery, told the Lancaster Guardian in May he had spoken to the striker who scored 35 goals in his final season for the club, and Hoyle has continued the discussions leading to his impending return.

A patchwork Dolly Blues side, made up of several trialists, including released Morecambe youngsters Niall Cowperthwaite and Joe Culshaw, and old faces such as Rob Wilson and Tom Entwistle, opened their pre-season campaign with an encouraging 2-1 defeat to Dundee at Giant Axe, last Saturday, July 7.

Hoyle said: “I’m delighted with the performance on Saturday. Considering the short notice everything turned out okay.

“We were only supposed to go back this week but with playing Dundee everything was shifted forward.

“As well as the more familiar names, some of the local lads did really well. Zach Archer, Josh Buller and Luke Bradley worked very hard and I was delighted with their attitude.

“If there’s anybody else locally who wants to come down like them, then they’re always welcome.

“Nobody’s put pen to paper yet and we’ve made enquiries about other players too who are keeping their options open.

“We’ve got a list of 30 names at the moment and need to get it down to about 18 or 20. Hopefully another one or two will come out of the woodwork as well.”

Barrie Stimpson has stepped down as joint assistant manager at Giant Axe due to work commitments.

The former club captain returned to City as Tony Hesketh’s new assistant this summer but has decided he doesn’t have enough time to commit to the role.

Stimpson had been due to be part of the new managerial set-up with Hoyle and Michael Stringfellow after it was announced Hesketh needed to take three months off for hip surgery.

The club’s new under 18 side hold their first training session this Wednesday, July 18 at 6.45pm at Giant Axe, not August 18 as reported in last week’s Lancaster Guardian. Any players are welcome to attend.

City need volunteers to take part in a working party this Saturday, July 14.

Club officials and fans want to undertake numerous maintenance tasks at Giant Axe from 9.15am.

These include painting, weeding around the group and working on the playing surface.

Everyone is welcome to go along and help.