North Lancashire football round-up: Butlin double sees off College threat

Vogue Hair Salon Owner Laura Turner Presenting College AFC manager Paddy Fairclough with the new polo shirts that they have sponsored for both the first and reserve team for the coming season.
Vogue Hair Salon Owner Laura Turner Presenting College AFC manager Paddy Fairclough with the new polo shirts that they have sponsored for both the first and reserve team for the coming season.

College AFC lost for the sixth consecutive time when they crashed out of the Black Dragon Senior Challenge Cup at the third round stage against Bowerham.

Bowerham, on a poor run themselves of late, just about shaded possession and finished much better to run out 3-1 winners, Tim Fletcher scored the goal for College with Louis Butlin scoring two and Mark Wright the other.

In the fourth round Bowerham will meet the winners of the Storeys and Caton United tie.

In the 848-848 Taxis/Sam Price Memorial Cup first round, Ingleton travelled to play Galgate knowing they had been beaten 2-1 by the same opposition only a few weeks ago.

However, Ingleton started very brightly and attacked from the first whistle causing Galgate’s defence all kinds of problems.

Will Smith on the right wing terrorised the defence every time he had the ball at his feet, his speed taking him clear of his marker.

After one surging run down the wing he was hauled down 10 yards outside the penalty. He took the free kick and after just eight minutes Ingleton took the lead when Daniel Tyrer rose above everyone to head into the net.

Ingleton doubled their lead five minutes later again from a free kick, this time from the left wing.

The ball was a teasing out swinger which the keeper could only punch half clear where it was met by the head of Gary China to head past a forlorn keeper.

Ingleton didn’t let up and with Smith causing problems Galgate hardly got into Ingleton’s half of the field.

Ingleton went into a 3-0 lead with Smith again doing the damage, his right cross to the far post was met by Tyrer’s head for him to score his second.

Alex Hartley, who led the Ingleton line well, then had a snap shot from fully 25 yards out which beat the keeper all ends up but the ball hit the underside of the bar and bounced clear.

He wasn’t to be denied a goal however and with just five minutes of the first half remaining he intercepted an intended back pass almost on the half-way line and burst clear of the chasing defenders, before rounding the ‘keeper to score.

Galgate raised their game at the start of the second half, penning Ingleton in their own half for long periods but the defence played well with Johnny Platten outstanding for the visitors as he held his side together.

Galgate had their first chance after 56 minutes but the keeper made an outstanding save when he tipped the ball over the bar.

Within five minutes the keeper made an even better save, diving to his right at the near post to turn the ball away for a corner.

Galgate kept up the pressure on with their best player on the day Jamie Fairclough spraying the ball all over the field trying his hardest to get his side on to the scoresheet.

With just five minutes remaining Hartley chased what seemed like a lost cause and it paid off as he robbed the defender and his pass to the left wing found David Whitfield whose cross into the area was headed in by an unmarked China to make the final score 5-0.

In round two Ingleton will be away to Morecambe Royals.

In the second round, Bentham and Highgrove served up a feast of good exciting football with the result in doubt up to the final whistle.

Highgrove took the lead with veteran Russell Mitchell scoring a great goal but within minutes Bentham drew level with another great goal scored by Adam Wilcock.

With minutes remaining Highgrove were awarded a penalty and Scott King scored to put Highgrove back into the lead.

Bentham then had three great chances to level but the centre forward fluffed his shots, leaving Highgrove with a home tie in the semi-final.