Hartlepool United 2-1 Morecambe

Globe Arena. Morecambe FC.
Globe Arena. Morecambe FC.

Morecambe failed to take the chance to ease their relegation worries with a shocking defeat against 10-man Hartlepool on Easter Monday.

The Shrimps looked set for a victory that would have secured their League 2 safety for another season when home midfielder Simon Walton was sent off shortly before the hour mark with the Shrimps leading 1-0 after Kevin Ellison’s first-half goal.

But the red card lifted the home side who went on to dominate the game and pick up three points that ended a run of six straight defeats and all but ended any worries they had of relegation.

As Morecambe sat back home substitute Jack Compton fired Hartlepool level with a superb shot to beat Barry Roche low to his left from 25 yards on 67 minutes.

And there was better to come for the home side 10 minutes from time when they shocked the Shrimps with a second.

Jonathan Franks’ shot from the edge of the box was only parried by Roche and the ball fell perfectly for substitute Jack Barmby to drill the rebound into the empty goal.

Morecambe finally showed some spirit to hit back with Jordan Mustoe and Mark Hughes firing inches wide but it was Hartlepool who went closest to scoring when Franks was denied by a superb Roche save after an initial shot came back off the Morecambe crossbar.

Ellison had given Morecambe the advantage in the 24th minute with his first goal in eight games.

Andy Parrish swung over a cross from the right and Ellison did well to direct a looping effort over home keeper Scott Flinders.

Hartlepool hit back with Marlon Harewood using all his strength and experience to cause the Shrimps problems. He broke free of his marker to force Roche into an excellent low save with his legs.

Roche also made an early save from a Walton free-kick before James Poole dragged a shot off target and Franks blazed horribly wide.

As the half came to a close Morecambe went on the attack and went close to doubling their lead on 41 minutes when Jack Sampson teed up Jamie Devitt but his shot was cleared superbly off the line by young full back Darren Holden.

It was all to go wrong for the Shrimps in the second period however with a ninth game without a win leaving the Shrimps three points clear of the Football League trap door with two games to play.

Hartlepool: Flinders, Duckworth, Collins, Harrison, Holden, Walton, Walker, Monkhouse (rep Barmby 79), Poole (rep Compton 61), Harewood, Franks. Subs not used: Rafferty, Richards, Jones, Oliver, Hawkins.

Morecambe: Roche, Beeley (rep Diagne 49, rep Amond 84), Hughes, Parrish, Edwards, Mustoe, Kenyon, Wright, Devitt, Ellison, Sampson (rep Redshaw 69). Subs not used: Threlfall, Williams, Marshall, Arestidou.

Referee: Scott Duncan

Attendance: 4,864 (241 away)