Arestidou released as Morecambe announce budget cut

Andreas Arestidou has been released by Morecambe.
Andreas Arestidou has been released by Morecambe.

Morecambe have revealed their playing budget has been cut for the 2015-2016 season.

The Shrimps announced the news as they released long-time number two goalkeeper Andreas Arestidou who had been expected to be offered a new deal at the Globe Arena.

It is not clear how the reduction relates to what Jim Bentley had to spend last season but it is believed to be a reduction from what was originally planned for the forthcoming season.

The decision to release Arestidou ends a three-year stay with the Shrimps where he has acted as Barry Roche’s understudy.

The 25-year-old from Lancaster, formerly of Blackburn, Shrewsbury and Preston, made 25 starts for the Shrimps and was one of six goalkeepers used by the club last season.

Roche is set to return from hip surgery as the club’s number one this year having missed the majority of the 2014-2015 season.

In a statement on Tuesday morning, Morecambe said: “Morecambe Football Club have today announced that Andreas Arestidou’s contract will not be renewed due to a reduction in the 2015/16 playing budget.

“Andreas Arestidou therefore leaves the club as a free agent after three seasons as the Shrimps’ number two goalkeeper.”

General Manager Mark Dixon said: “We would like to thank Andreas for his time at the club and wish him the very best in the future.”