Woman and girl die in Lakes tragedy

editorial image
0
Have your say

A woman and a young girl have died and a man was seriously ill after suffering breathing difficulties on a boat.

A woman and a 10-year-old girl from Lancashire have died and a man is seriously ill after a tragic incident on a boat in the Lake District.

The alarm was raised at 3.58pm yesterday when Cumbria Police and an ambulance were called to a private boat at Windermere as the three victims were enjoying a Bank Holiday afternoon.

Emergency workers received reports they were suffering breathing difficulties.

A 36-year-old woman and the 10-year-old girl, both from the Leyland area and reported to be mother and daughter, were treated at the scene and then taken to Royal Lancaster Infirmary, where they died shortly afterwards.

The man, who was also on the boat, was last night still receiving treatment at the same hospital. None of the victims had been named by police when the Evening Post went to press.

A spokeswoman for Cumbria Police said: “We can confirm that at approximately 4pm today, we attended an incident at Windermere, where it was reported that three people on a private boat on Windermere were having serious breathing difficulties.

“A 36-year-old woman and a 10-year-old girl, both from the Leyland area, were treated at the scene and then airlifted to Royal Lancaster Infirmary. Unfortunately both have since tragically died.”

The spokeswoman added: “Police are currently investigating the circumstances of this tragic incident and trying to establish the full facts about what has happened.

“The coroner has been told.”

A spokeswoman for the North West Ambulance Service said they were called to the scene following reports the woman and young girl had suffered a cardiac arrest following carbon monoxide poisoning.

Cumbria Police were unable to confirm reports the deaths were a result of the odourless and colourless gas carbon monoxide.

Lynn Griffiths, president of the carbon monoxide charity CO-Awareness, said the deaths were ‘tragic’ and said there was a lack of public understanding of the dangers involved.

She said: “The public seem to think you can only be poisoned by carbon monoxide if you’ve got a faulty gas boiler, but it could be a gas cooker or bottles of gas on a caravan or boat.”