Car goes up in flames

Firefighters tackle the blazing car near Tesco Carnforth on Tuesday morning.
Firefighters tackle the blazing car near Tesco Carnforth on Tuesday morning.

A COUPLE and their dog escaped uninjured after their car caught fire in Carnforth.

Stephen Lee, 47, his wife Emma and black labrador Scooby got out of the Peugeot just before the blaze began at about 8.50am on Tuesday.

Mr Lee, a self-employed sales agent from Carnforth, pulled off the A6 when he smelled diesel and saw smoke “billowing out”. He added: “The car went up in flames. There was nothing anyone could do. The people at Tesco were remarkably helpful, bringing us cups of tea.”

A fuel leak is thought to have caused the fire.