DCSIMG

Fight continues over quayside plan

Luneside East, which is being demolished to make way for new development

Luneside East, which is being demolished to make way for new development

Lancaster City Council has asked developers Persimmon Homes to make “significant amendments” to their proposed plans for the Luneside East development.

Residents are objecting to the planned removal of trees and the old railway embankment bordering Long Marsh Lane and increased direct vehicular access into the area, which they had been told would not be included in the regeneration of the site.

More than 50 objections have been lodged against the plans for 170 houses on the site, as well as an online petition with 670 names.

Resident Karena Kyne said: “We are asking for a very small concession from the developer in retaining the embankment and trees that we had been promised all along.”

Persimmon say that without the removal of the trees their development of the site is not viable.

Coun Janice Hanson, cabinet member with responsibility for economic regeneration and planning, said: “The economy has changed in the last six years and Persimmon are currently proposing traditional housing for this land which inevitably requires more space.

“If the council has to consider variances to what it and the community originally wanted on the site the developer has to prove to its satisfaction that the scheme promoted is the only viable alternative.

“To date Persimmon have not provided the viability evidence to demonstrate this, and furthermore have also been asked by the council’s planners to demonstrate why a revision keeping the embankment and making savings elsewhere in the scheme shouldn’t also be tabled.”

A public meeting is being held on May 21 at 7pm at the Friends Meeting House.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page