A MUM-OF-TWO has spoken of her family’s lucky escape from injury after a bolt of lightning struck their Lancaster home.
Anne Murphy was having a meal with her husband, two children and two foreign students who are staying at the family home in Belle Vue Avenue when the bolt of lightning knocked out all of their electricity.
The surge of power, which hit at 7.20pm last Thursday, blew up power sockets and wiring across the house, plunging them into darkness and sending shards of metal and plastic flying through the air. But despite the terrifying experience, everyone in the house escaped injury.
Mrs Murphy, who is self-employed, said: “The storm was right overhead.
“We were all sat around, the six of us, eating and there was just this enormous explosion.
“It was just so loud we didn’t know what to think. It was like a bomb.
“You could feel it in your chest and your ears were ringing.
“And then there was just silence.
“I have neighbours who have been round saying that they thought it was their house because their rooms filled with a flash of light.
“But we didn’t have that, it was just a bang and then it went dark.
More in this week’s Lancaster Guardian