A have-a-go hero tackled a car which burst into flames without a thought for his own safety
Grant Wilson didn’t think twice when he saw a car park up opposite Sainsbury’s garage which was on fire underneath.
Despite the possibility of the car exploding and possible fatalities, Grant and another motorist who had stopped at the garage for petrol, both grabbed fire extinguishers to tackle the blaze.
Grant said: “We thought we had put it out but it flared back up again so we called the emergency services. The car owner was a bit shook up. It was a bit scary , I was shaking when I rang the fire service.
“If that had have blown up, it could have caused major fatalities.”
Grant, 28, of Gaisgill Avenue, Westgate, was taking his van for its MOT and had just stopped off at the garage to get some petrol when the drama unfolded.
He said: “It was just an automatic reaction. I spoke to my brother afterwards and told him I was going for a pint because I was shaken up!”
Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service said they were called to the blazing vehicle near to the petrol station at Sainsbury’s on Lancaster Road at around 9.45am on Friday. Around five firefighters from one appliance brought the flames under control.
Nobody was injured but drivers were diverted from the scene as the area was closed off.
Fire service spokesman John Taylor said: “The fire engine crew went out and described the car as being well alight. They used a hose reel to put the fire out.
“There were no complications with that and they were able to come away about 20 minutes later.”
Mr Taylor described the car as being ‘pretty much a write-off’.
He added that there was no risk of the incident spreading to the petrol station itself.