Firm will rehouse residents

Residents and supporters who are against the closure of Reid House in Ingleton.
Residents and supporters who are against the closure of Reid House in Ingleton.
0
Have your say

Elderly residents at an Ingleton sheltered housing block this week met with the accommodation’s bosses to air their concerns at the housing being closed.

Yorkshire Housing chief executive Mervin Jones and neighbourhood services manager Michael Hewson met residents at Reid House on Wednesday to discuss their options.

The residents of flats and bedsits in Reid House, Low Demesne, were told last month that they are to lose their homes.

They must move out by July next year.

The tenants - including four aged over 90 - were told many of the homes “aren’t fit for modern living” and claim demand is low.

Of the four one-bed flats and 17 bedsits in Reid House, 17 properties are currently occupied.

Resident John Clapham, 81, said he is one of three residents to have now been found alternative accommodation.

Former Craven district councillor Mr Clapham, a resident at Reid House for 10 years, will move into a bungalow in Ingleton, also owned by Yorkshire Housing, next month.

Two other residents have been found bungalows in Bentham and Settle.

The residents had been collecting signatures on a petition which had been backed by other Ingleton residents.

“It has made no difference – they have made their minds up,” he said.

“They won’t kick anybody out andn they won’t force people to move out of Ingloeton if we don’t want to, which has set a few minds at rest.

“I will be paying more than I am now but I am just relieved to have got somewhere else to go.

“There aren’t many bungalows that become free in Ingleton.”

Reid House will be redeveloped as accommodation more suited to the changing needs of the older population.

Celia Cashman, Yorkshire Housing’s director of housing services, said: “We have found that some are no longer fit for modern day living and are in low demand.

“As a result we have made the difficult decision to move customers from these schemes between now and January 2016. We have been talking individually with every affected customer as well as their families.”