A family had a lucky escape after arsonists opened their front door and threw a lit firework into their house.
Firefighters said the firework was too large to fit through the letter box of the house in Patterdale Road, Lancaster, so those responsible had used the front door, which was still open at 10.30pm on Sunday.
A Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “The firework exploded in the hallway and luckily enough only scorch marks were left in the area, there wasn’t a fire.
“The elderly grandmother, her daughter and grandson were in the house at the time, some of them asleep upstairs, and although unhurt have been left very upset and shocked.
“Police are investigating, but the family can’t think of any reason why they should be targetted.”