A 400-year-old Caton pub has new tenants.
Bowland Village Inns has taken over at Thwaites Brewery-owned The Ship, which recently spent £65,000 refurbishing the bar, restaurant and outside of the building.
The new tenants are investing an extra £30,000 to improve the country inn’s kitchen.
Tom Lister, who has worked for the company for five years, has been appointed manager, having moved from the Bowland-owned Punchbowl Inn at Churchtown, near Garstang.
Louise Beaumont and Barbara Holloway, who both live in Caton, have been appointed assistants and Gareth Parker brought in as new head chef.
Steven Greenhalf, Bowland Village Inns director, said: “The Ship has a long history as a popular dining destination, and we’ve been interested in bringing it in to the Bowland Village Inns family for some time. We feel it is the perfect fit with the rest of our portfolio.
“We’ve invested heavily in the new kitchen as we have ambitious plans for the future and are looking forward to working with Thwaites to bring those to fruition.”
Carolyn Matthews, area manager for Thwaites, added: “We approached Bowland Village Inns about taking over the tenancy of The Ship as it has a great reputation for developing country pubs and we know they will be able to realise its full potential.”
The Ship, formerly The Ship Inn, dates back to 1610, boasting 400 years of standing as a traditional pub in Lancaster.
Bowland Village Inns runs a number of pubs across Lancashire, including The Plough at Galgate, Lancashire Golf Club’s wedding brand under the Ashton Hall name and operates the catering at Thurnham Hall.