One of Lancaster’s oldest independent shops will close next week after nearly 200 years.
Lawsons first began trading in 1837, the year the Lancaster Guardian was founded.
It specialises in luggage, leather goods and gifts including home accessories.
Owners Matt and Liz Mackay have decided against renewing the lease on the shop in New Street.
The couple, who live in Borwick, and began their respective retail careers at Jaeger and Harrods in London, plan to move into property and to travel.
“We have taken Lawsons into the 21st century, spending a lot of time and effort sourcing quality designer items from the UK and Europe, making sure Lancaster has great variety and choice,” said Matt.
“Brands like Alessi, Samsunite and The Bridge, to name but a few, are all now more widely available.
“We’ve had some fantastic times here at Lawsons but we just wanted a change.
“We would like to take this opportunity to thank the customers who have supported us over the last 30 years.”
The shop will open for the final time on Saturday, February 16 when a clearance sale will be held from 10am-5pm. Lawsons was opened by Liz’s great great grandfather RB Lawson, a descendant of a leading merchant family.
There were originally two sides to the business – luggage and toys – but they separated in 1992.
The toy side of the business at the old Rocking Horse Shop on New Street closed six years ago.
The luggage and gift shop has traded from its current premises for 10 years.
Another city shop, Siena, has closed its doors.
The women’s fashion trader, based on Market Street, had been in business for more than 12 years.
Other well-known city centre shops which have closed recently included New Street tailor CE Barrow, and women’s clothes shop Margee’s, which was based on King Street.