A young man suffered a brain haemorrhage and was in a coma for a month after falling through his employer’s roof as he tried to fix a leaky skylight.
Jamie Heywood’s family was told that he was going to die on three separate occasions, and then later that he would be severely handicapped, following the horrific ordeal last year.
His employers, David Sowerby and Janet Stretch of carpet retailers A Cut Above, in Bulk Road, Lancaster, were fined £15,000 for breaching health and safety legislation at Lancaster Magistrates Court last Friday.
Jamie, 22, from Princes Crescent, Bare, was asked to go up onto the roof of the warehouse to fix the skylight on February 28, 2011.
But he fell through the fragile asbestos roof and landed on the concrete floor below.
See Lancaster Guardian (16-02-12) for full story.